September 21, 2022

Our Proposal Story

 


OUR PROPOSAL STORY

I guess it's a little strange to be writing about our engagement since we've been married already for a year-- but I really wanted to start a series of wedding-related posts (since I LOVE LOVE LOVE weddings!). What better way to start that than with our proposal story?!

BACKGROUND INFO 

Earl (my now hubs) and I were middle school sweethearts (Crazy right?) We actually won the "Cutest Couple" title for our 8th Grade Yearbook. With some breaks here and there (ya know-- cuz teenage angst), a couple of breakups and makeups, being separated by an ocean (I lived and worked in Japan for a couple years) and a few more hiccups along the way, and we were FINALLY engaged! Even throughout all the years of high school, college, and that weird transitional period of life where you're trying to figure out what to do as a career... our feelings always remained strong. The only reason we ever took breaks was due to growing pains and trying to figure out how to do the whole "adulting" thing.

 Leading up to the actual engagement, we had already been together for like a million years already, owned and ran a business together, and lived together... so it was never a question of IF we would get engaged. It was more a matter of WHEN. Earl is the type of guy who likes to have all his ducks in a row before he takes the next step. He wanted to make sure we were OK and that the business was running as smooth as can be. I truly appreciate this about him (even though I asked him every year "Are you gonna propose yet?!") 


THE PROPOSAL

From the start of our trip to Maui, Earl was already acting suspicious. He very rarely takes photos or videos on his phone. For some strange reason, he was documenting everything from this trip. HMMM... INTERESTING. 

I kinda had an inkling that he would propose during this trip because HELLOOO! IT'S HAWAII! What better place to propose?! However, every single day that we were there, he WASN'T proposing. So, I started to think that maybe he wasn't going to. 

On our very last night of our trip (August 30, 2018), Earl asked me to go down to the beach with him so he could find some rocks. While we were down there, he propped his phone onto a tree stump and said "Let's record a video!" I was like "Uh.. ok..."

So while he was recording, he came over to me and gave me a hug. Then he said, "You know I love you, right?" Then he very nervously took the ring out of his pocket, dropped down to one knee and said, "You gotta say yes." LOLLLL. I was like "You didn't even ask me yet!" Poor guy. I could tell he was SO nervous and it was so cute. Then he asked, "Will you marry me?"


The proposal was very US. We are not very showy or romantic with our love. It was special and cute and funny. 

CONDITIONS

I did have just two requests during our discussions about future engagements.

One of the requests I did have is that the proposal be documented, and he did that! It's tough to document things when you're by yourselves on vacation, so I know he tried his very best! Although it made him look very suspicious, I'm forever grateful to have this moment on video forever so I can look back on it and laugh at us. 


The other (more important one) was that I really wanted him to ask my parents for their blessing. My parents and family mean everything to me, so it meant the world that Earl did this. He actually went over to my parents house while I was out of town. He wrote them a letter and brought some gifts. He had a sit-down talk with my mom, dad, and brother explaining to them that he was planning to propose, that he loves me, and will always make sure that I visit home often. More than anything, he wanted them to know that I'll be taken care of and that I won't be leaving the family. So sweet of him. 


It was a special day indeed! After being together for like 15+ years, it felt so weird to refer to him as my FIANCE and not my boyfriend anymore! 


And there you have it! Our proposal story that was like 92348029834 years in the making! 😂

with love,
Julia💜




0 comments:

Post a Comment