October 20, 2022

DIY HALLOWEEN: COUPLES/FAMILY COSTUME IDEAS


 DIY HALLOWEEN: COUPLES/FAMILY COSTUME IDEAS

I can't believe next week is ALREADY Halloween! What?! Where does the time go? It's so true what they say-- that the older you get, the faster time flies! 

In the spirit of Halloween season, I wanted to post about some of the super quick and easy costume ideas Earl, Duke, and I have done in the past. I'm someone who absolutely loves dressing up for Halloween, but totally not a lover of how freakin' expensive store-bought costumes can be! I actually just love seeing what I can make with things we already have lying around the house. Since we only really wear the costume for a family photo, I always try to make them super simple-- like literally just turning a t-shirt into a costume kind of simple! LOL

Here are some that we have done over the years!

2015:

MIKE, SULLEY, AND BOO FROM MONSTER'S INC. 

- Green T-Shirt from Michael's- $3

- Teal T-Shirt from Michael's- $3

- Purple, White, Black, and Gray felt from Michael's for .99/each- $4

- Purple tablecloth (for Duke) from the 99 cents store - $1

- Styrofoam Balls from 99 cents store- $1

Total: $12

2019:

MARIO, LUIGI, AND PRINCE (NOT PRINCESS) PEACH

- Red and Green Caps from the 99 Cents Store- $2

- Red T-Shirt from Michael's- $3

- Green T-Shirt from Michael's-$3

- Blue, Yellow, Green, and Red felt from Michael's- $4

- Pink Tutu and Princess Crown from the 99 cents store- $2

Total: $14

2020: 

LADYBUG, BUMBLEBEE, AND BUG CATCHER

- Ladybug Set (headband, wings, skirt) from the 99 cents store- $3

- Bumblebee Set (headband, wings, skirt) from the 99 cents store- $3

- Bug Catcher Outfit (Earl's clothes)- FREE

- Bug Catcher Net (this is actually a kids dressup wedding veil)- $1

- Bug Catcher Hat (borrowed from my dad)- FREE

Total: $7



2021:

COOKIE MONSTER, ELMO, AND OSCAR

- Red T-Shirt (from Earl's closet) - FREE

- Blue T-Shirt (from Earl's closet)- FREE

- Face Details and Cookie (all made from construction paper and taped on)- FREE

- Oscar's Trashcan (made from cardboard and spraypainted silver)- FREE

Total: FREEEEE



2022:

SPONGEBOB, GARY, AND PATRICK

I'll update this again after Halloween with photos of what the costumes ended up looking like!

UPDATED ON 10/30/22

Here are the photos from Halloween 2022!

- Yellow T-shirt- FREE (from my dad)

- Khaki Pants- FREE (from Earl's closet)

- Pink Shirt- FREE (from my closet)

- Green Shorts- FREE (from my closet)

- All of Spongebob's & Patrick's Face Materials- FREE (construction paper)

- Purple Felt for Patrick's Shorts- FREE (leftovers)

- All of Gary's Shell Materials- FREE (household items)

- Styrofoam Balls (Gary's Eyes)- $1.25 from Dollar Tree

TOTAL: $1.25





I try to never spend more than $10-15 TOTAL for all 3 of us. I mostly use clothes or materials we already own, and I'll buy some pieces of felt to make the little details. I know that homemade costumes aren't for everyone. These definitely look homemade. I just enjoy making something for us every year to take silly Halloween photos together! They make cute little memories :)

Hope these gave you some inspiration for some very quick and last-minute costume ideas if you don't wanna go out and buy one for an astronomical price! 

Have a safe and Happy Halloween next week!


with love,

Julia💜


0 comments:

Post a Comment